Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Superior Spider-Man is Amazing




It takes a man to admit his mistakes, and while it is more accurate to say I am a child inside a man's body, I do occasionally take a stab at adulthood.

I was wrong about The Superior Spider-Man. Earlier in my blog I wrote that I had no interest in reading the series. I wasn't in love with the concept of SpOck and I didn't want to jump in the series so late. After some badgering from an employee of my local comic book shop I gave in and bought a copy of Superior Spider-Man #1.

The next day I made a return trip and bought every back copy of the series they had. The storyline is executed flawlessly. Going in blind I was expecting it to be over the top and cheesy, but I find Dan Slott has done a tremendous job of finding balance. The SpOck is breathes much needed fresh air into Spider-Man without totally alienating established fans.

The art work is very attractive as well. The characters look great, the coloring is brilliant, and it all fits well with the tone of the writing. My only real complaint is that Peter Parker looks too much like a pretty boy.

Though I haven't gotten far in the series (due to not being able to find issue #3 yet) it is easy to see that this series is full of both creativity and potential. We all know that Peter Parker will reclaim his mind eventually, but now that I have started reading The Superior Spider-Man, I hope he isn't in a rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment